Tuesday, July 8, 2014

"Revelation is the Key"

Dear family,
 
Ive really enjoyed my time here. I’m in San Vicente, El Salvador. It’s a really nice area. Outside of the city, it’s basically just jungle/mountains. It’s really hermoso. It’s pretty hot and humid, but as long as you drink lots of water you don’t notice.

 Our branch here is a nice little branch. I’ve met a lot of really good people here. There’s a lot work to do though.

 We got to meet our new president last Thursday. He’s really cool. One of the things he said that really inspired me and my companion was that we need to give our investigators a vision, a desire, to come unto Christ. That’s something that is hard to do. Here, almost anyone will be willing to listen to us. Some people will actually come to us and say, "Preach to me! It’s good to here the word of God." But it’s a very passive request. They just want to listen. They don’t want to do anything, Change is hard. So that’s what we’ve been working on this week.
 
We had one lesson where we got it. We were teaching two people, Patricia y Alcides. We had already taught about the restauracion, but we hadn’t talked about the Book of Mormon. We decided that instead of just presenting the Book of Mormon like normal, we tried to focus on how it can help them. So we asked them what about the purpose of life, and then we taught them doctrine from the Book of Mormon. The spirit was so strong in that lesson. When we asked them to read the Book of Mormon, Alcides said, "Me entrego completamente" or algo así, which means, "I give myself completely." They both committed to be baptized, and they both came to church yesterday. We’ve been talking about that lesson pretty much everyday sense then, trying to figure out what made it such a good lesson. We think that one of the keys is that we received revelation to know what they needed to know, and then taught them that from the Book of Mormon.
 
I am attaching some photos. One of me and my MTC companion, one of the view from our window in the MTC, one of the El Salvador temple that I took as we drove here, and one of me and my current companion.
Love you guys!
 
Elder Hilton
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment