Sunday, December 13, 2015

"Ah, dengue is terrible."

November 23, 2015

Well, from your emails it sounds like several of you were sick this week. I hope you all feel better. This week I was sick too. I said before I left the office that I was exited to see what adventures awaited me. Adventure number 1: dengue!!

Ah dengue is terrible. It´s somewhat like chicungunya. It´s carried by mosquitoes too. Chicungunya is more painful, but dengue is more dangerous.

I started feeling sick right after writing you guys last week. Once we got home from writing last week we took my temperature and I had a fever of 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Nothing we did brought it down. It stayed that high for all of Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. On Thursday is started coming down. It hovered between 100 and 101 all day. On Friday my fever finally broke.

The good thing is that the only symptoms of dengue that I had was that fever and a chicken-pox-like rash. So I actually felt ok. No headache, no nausea, no joint pain or anything. 

Now I just feel a little weak but I´m getting better fast. 

Another good thing is that this is one of the most successful areas that I´ve had. It´s definitely easier to manage an area if you´re not in the office. Even if you have dengue.

We have some really good investigators, the Hernandez family: Morena, Wendy, Kevin, Delma, and Caren. All of them go to church. Wendy is almost ready to be baptized. She wants to do it. She should be baptized within the next month and then the rest of the family will follow.

Aguilares isn´t as small as Nueva Concepción. Normally about 70 people go to church every week. It´s definitely much more self sufficient than la Nueva,

As far as water goes, I´m back to only having it half the time.

Something cool happened this week. A member called S M who got baptized about half a year ago and is now less active called us. He called us because he remembered that they had taught him about the different "phases of progression" in the gospel. He told us that he got baptized on a Saturday, then the next day the they layed their hands on his head, and then they gave his the aaronic priesthood. He said then they told him about the Melchizedek priesthood. They told him he need more preparation in order to receive that. Then he got a new job and had to work Sundays so he stopped coming to church. But then he remembered what they told him about the Melchizedek priesthood. He remembered that he was still missing something. So he called us. He wants to come back to church now. And he wants our help. That was so cool to hear! That experience strengthened my faith.

I love you all!

Elder Hilton 


No comments:

Post a Comment