Saturday, March 21, 2015

I'm learning a lot.

March 17, 2015

Well family, another week has gone by. It really is quite an adventure. I'm learning a lot. Elder P is a very good missionary. He knows a lot. I'd say that's one of his strongest attributes. He knows the scriptures very, very well. Is my Spanish improving with him? I imagine. Nothing drastic though. However I do think my English is probably getting worse. We'll see what you guys say on Mother's day.

Today I'd like to write about some of the people we're teaching.

A while ago I wrote you guys about G. We met him in the street, invited him to church, he came, and then left to San Salvador and we didn't see him again. Well, he still lives in San Salvador. But we're teaching his mom now. She is just a  really good lady. Just full of goodness. She's come to church 2 times now. She's accepted the invitation to be baptised. We're still now entirely sure when yet, but we're hoping it will be this month. We're very excited for her.

We're also teaching E, one of President M's sisters. She was in the photo of R's baptism. We asked her what would impede he from being baptised, and she said that there was nothing, that she's basically already a Mormon, doesn't drink coffee or anything. She just doesn't know if the church is true yet. That's all that's holding her back. Her 11 year old grandson, E, also lives with her and he said that nothing would impede him from being baptised, and that he would love to do it. He just needs the "ok" of E. So we're praying a lot so that she can get a testimony of the restored Gospel.

We're also teaching someone called R. Her neighbor invited her to church and she came. She's passing through a hard time right now, what with health and other things. But she loves to learn about the Gospel, and I think it is making the difference for her. 

Let it not be said that I don't write about our investigators :).

M is doing well. He's got his ups and downs, but continues coming to church every Sunday and coming to the church activities.

We're very excited for President M and his family. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we'll be able to go with them to the temple. I really, really want to. I'm still very happy for them though.

So it sounds like we're going to Ohio. It's not Germany, but I'll take it. It will be nice to have you guys closer.

One thing I'm trying to work on is to always be in tune to the spirit. It's so easy to become out of tune with the spirit. There are so many little things we have to watch. Things like stress, disapointment, complaining, etc. For example, if I get to church and some of the people that I have come to love so much aren't there, even though they said they would come, I feel sad, I get disappointed. I might complain. If I'm not careful, that will distance the spirit. Or another example, that's somewhat unique to the mission. Yesterday we got to church and found out that 2 of the speakers didn't show up, there wasn't anyone to teach Gospel Principles, the youth, the priesthood preparation class, or the 3rd hour for priesthood. So, we get asked to do all of that. The temptation would be to during the sacramnet stress out frantically prepare for your talk and all the classes. But what then of the sacrament? The sacrament is a time of peaceful reflexion and a time to renew your covenants. Even missionaries need that. So, I'm working on that. Stress is something new to me. Before I never got stressed. So I'm learning what it is and how to deal with it. Learning a lot. 

I love you all!

Elder Hilton

No comments:

Post a Comment